Friday, September 18, 2009

Just a small town girl

Sometimes I feel really boring. I have only lived in Lexington and Staunton. I have never traveled extensively (like my brother and Jack) or been invited to NYC Fashion Week (like a girl I went to school with). I don't make a lot of money (or really any for that matter) and everything that I do make goes directly back into the business. So I have to say that it is pretty surprising when people that have known me for a long time say that I am doing cool things-- because I don't notice it and God knows I have never been cool.

I get some really great bands in here-- traveling troubadours, electronic bands from Prague, famous metal acts-- and we have fun events like last nights Shakespearean monologue slam and magazine launch parties, but I look at those things as work, because without them I wouldn't have a job.

I have to say that it is really nice that while I frequently don't recognize what we do here as awesome it is really reassuring to know that others do. So thank you to everyone who frequents the Cafe and makes everything that we do here worthwhile. Without your continued support there would be no reason to keep having such a variety of "cool" events.

4 comments:

pb-j said...

You do awesome things. But more importantly you help people feel like they matter. You provide a comfortable, safe, friendly atmosphere where people don't have to feel like they have to 'be' someone or try to impress anyone.

It isn't a 'bar' feel, it isn't a coffee shop feel. The energy in the darjeeling is different -- It is about eclectic-ness and authenticity.

Maya Angelou. "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

paula

Cafe Confidential said...

Paula,

Thank you so much. That just made my day. I seriously tuned up a little when I read that. I just treat people the way that I like to be treated.

Thank you for being such a wonderful, genuine, and awesome patron and friend.

Sky Jack Morgan said...

You're the coolest girl in the world.

nicole b said...

I'm pumped to come check this place out tonight and to see Momentary Prophets. I live in Harrisonburg and decided to go to Staunton tonight to partake in and change in scenery and qt w/friends.